Monday, April 27, 2009

Hope Springs Eternal

For those of you thinking you were going to get a dose of philosophical discourse with this post, you are in for a special treat. I am a few weeks late with this one. It is time to talk about my true - I mean 'first' - love, baseball.

I was thinking that my first posts on this blog have been political in nature, and so now would be a perfect time to break that and discuss another of my favorite things to talk about... certainly something I am more qualified to speak on. That, of course, is America's Pastime (baseball). Then I was thinking that nobody would really be interested in hearing who I think is going to win the World Series (Dodgers!) or who is the most exciting player in the game (Manny Ramirez). Those posts are why people go to ESPN.com or watch Sportscenter; this isn't quite the format for such. Besides, some people might think there is a little bias in my opinion (Go Blue!!).

Hence, I am three weeks late with a post on one of my favorite subjects. Well, as it turns out, I am glad I waited. Many of you know that I am the advisor for our school's newpaper and we produce a page of school news/articles twice a month. Some of my best students are in this class; there are some real good writers with a blend of tastes and personalities. In particular there is one student who is a favorite of mine and Jessica's (you'll all know why soon). In the last issue of the Knight Life (the publication), this student wrote an article about baseball, titled America's Distraction. With his permission, I wanted to share a couple portions of his article with you and point out that I couldn't have said it any better when considering the effect baseball can have on our culture.


"Baseball is like an escape of sorts. With each baseball season comes new hope. When the 30 major league teams lace up the cleats and take the field on opening day a sigh of relief sweeps across the land. Since the turn of the 20th century Baseball has been a buffer between hardship and joy. Americans of all ages fall in love with the perfection that is baseball. A warm and breezy summer day sparked by the sound of a ball hitting the glove captivates our senses. Those as young as 3 and as old 93 see baseball as far more than a game. It’s a way of life.

The country is now facing its worst economic downturn in more than twenty years. Americans once again are looking for a sense of relief, a journey from the real world of bills and taxes. Without fail, baseball once again will answer the call. On April 5, 2009 America reopened its eyes. Baseball season is now, refreshingly, underway. Each and every fan has hope that their team can win the Fall Classic. It is this hope and joy that will get America through these hard times."


Let me restate that this young man is a junior in high school, a 17 year old boy. He loves baseball and his country, he is a superb student and a standout football player, and he is a reason to have hope that these hard times won't last forever. As a teacher, daily I see reasons to cringe at what is wrong in the world. But just as often, I see reason to have a positive outlook to our future. There are teenagers out there who "get it." There are young men and women who don't feel entitled, but rather, ambitious to achieve and earn what they can.

... And we can learn from them. These young Americans are looking ahead to a daunting future, but with confidence gleaming in their eyes. We can look to them with optimistism and strive together. Just like in baseball - each Spring, everyone thinks their team can win, and there is reason for hope.

1 comment:

Uncle Bill said...

And then Mr Manny Ramirez had to go and through a cloud over the whole spirit of our national sport.
Will the Dodgers still win it all, YES, but Manny's deed has taken an awful lot of the fun out of it.
Uncle Bill