Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Having your environmental emergency and eating it, too

Earlier this week, I was on the bus traveling home from a basketball game, and I was freezing. It was a (relatively) short drive from Bullhead City to Lake Havasu City. Both cities have pretty much the same climate. It's the desert here. It can cool down a little, but not too bad. Anyway, I am sitting there thinking to myself that it just feels colder than normal. I mentioned that to somebody and they said something about global warming. Okay, so I have heard this before: global warming accounts for hotter summers and colder winters.

Now, I understand that we can point at some scientific theory to justify this claim (I have Google, too), but I'm starting to think that the global warming alarm is the greatest conspiracy known to man. Here's why:

Scenario 1.
Person A: "Man, its sure feels hotter than normal today."
Al Gore: "uh-huh... global warming"

Scenario 2.
Person A: "Boy it's colder than I ever remember it being."
Al Gore: "well... it's global warming."

So just so I understand... if it gets too hot: it's global warming. Too cold: yep, global warming. Is it just me? Does that not seem convenient - I mean - odd?

Just to make sure I wasn't the crazy one here, I ran this by my 5-year-old. His response: "ha-ha-ha, Dad. You're silly." The kid gets it.

If you read my last post, you will catch the common point about scientists, journalists, and politicians consistently manipulating statistics and theory to represent something as irrefutable fact. Now I don't know enough about climatology and global warming to really state a good argument either way. But I am a logical thinker, and I am pretty good at detecting BS in the form of theory and statistics... and when it comes to the global warming alarm, my BS detector is going off.

By the way, Lake Havasu's low temps in the first half of December have been 6 degrees colder than average.

1 comment:

Mocktalk said...

Dan,

From what I've read, I do believe that global warming is happening. However, at this point we cannot unequivocally say why it is happening. To assume man is at the root of this is a hasty judgment and to punish him for such may not be the way to go. Regardless, we are the stewards of the earth and do have an obligation to take care of it. I'm torn because people should not be forced to do it, but unfortunately some will continue to do whatever the heck they want unless they are forced otherwise. Ahh, the conundrum of punishing all for what some are doing - I'm sure you've seen this at your school many a time.

Ideally we could help people change their attitudes without the condescending "you are an idiot for not doing this" tone that liberals often have. After all, taking care of the earth is a good thing. But that would probably mean changing the self indulgent way of life we have become so accustomed to. Indeed it would require a change in the very structure of how we live - no more commuting two hours from work or having houses the size of Al Gore's. But again this should be given up voluntarily.

Speaking of which, it has always seemed ironic that people like Al Gore want us to make the kind of sacrifices they themselves are not willing to make - that's probably my biggest beef. Big deal your 3000 fluorescent light bulbs probably do as much damage as my 50 incandescent.

Jim