Friday, January 15, 2010

Reflections from our family holiday traveling...

1. First, I feel like I need to confess. I have been disloyal to what it means to be a man. Opportunity flashed before me and I did not seize the chance.
While traveling through the middle of Nevada, we came to a highway fork in the road. One of the choices was to continue on the highway we were on which would lead us to our destination. The other choice was to take what is known as the "Extraterrestrial Highway." Now, for those of you who have never been through the middle of Nevada, there isn't much to see. It is pretty desolate out there, making it an excellent choice for a top-secret government facility: Area 51. We all know the rumors surrounding Area 51 - most regarding Aliens and there "contact" with humans in America. In this desolate area, there is a rather tall mountain ridge that looks like it could hide something fairly large from the general public. I got the impression that Area 51 would be behind something like that... a few minutes later we drove by the fork in the highway (and a sign similar to this one) and I told my wife that we could just scrap our traveling and go camp near Area 51 and see if anything cool happens. Reasonable, right? Any man would love to go check around Area 51 and see just how interesting things are. Well, I lost that battle... so we continued on our trip.

2. I love road trips. I especially love driving long distances (by the way, the kids were great). Heres why: I learn about the topography of the region I am driving in just by observing it - and this fascinates me. I have heard about the Great Basin before... but it is different to drive through it. I had no idea how beautiful northeastern Oregon is... and for those of you who have never driven through southern Oregon and northern California are missing out. It is beautiful and stimulating. I know it is a pain to take a longer time to get somewhere vs. flying. But when you consider the amount it costs a family of 5 to fly, driving through America the Beautiful is not a bad alternative.

3. Watching my son put aside his fears (of his own accord) for the sake of having fun sledding down a snowy hill all by himself made me more proud than I ever thought it would.

4. At the Holiday Inn Express, they have a decent breakfast and a nice set-up to watch the news while eating. However, it's the news that was disappointing. CNN's morning news show was so boring that I ended up paying closer attention to the 2 old women sitting next to me talking about cheating on their taxes - "If they catch me, they catch me. Let them put me in jail like Martha Stewart."

My last observations come from the peculiar land known as California...

5. Is it just me, or is the responsibility of the state-to-state border checkpoint workers of the California Highway Patrol a ridiculous waste of money. Honestly, what does the job accomplish? Do they really catch anyone smuggling illegal fruits into the state? "Sorry, sir, but we do not want your state's pesticides mixing with our pesticides."
I honestly would be interested to know the objective of this responsibility of CHP and, if it's not too much to ask, the justification for the money spent. Are we paying workers to stand there and wave people through a structure that (by it's only obvious function) serves to slow down travelers?

6. Lastly, does anyone else find it ironic that while driving along the California highways, you will see signs that read: "Report Drunk Drivers - Call 911". Isn't it illegal to talk on the phone while driving in California? So, is the state asking Californians to break their own law? If so, does it give the caller a free pass if they get pulled over?
"I pulled you over because you were talking on your cell phone while driving."
"Yeah, I was. But I was (looking away from the dark road to dial 911 and) reporting a drunk driver."
"Oh, in that case, please proceed on your way."

Total stats...
52 hours in the car -- 3339 miles

3 comments:

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

Dan, I'm afraid being a CA resident I must inform you that its not illegal to drive & talk on the phone IF you have a headset on. You just have to have your hands free, but I have often wondered how I'm supposed to dial without using my hands regardless of if I have the headset in my ear. Sigh.

Aston said...

Ahhh, touche. Good point... though I wonder what the percentage of those talking on their cell phones are really hands-free.

Julie N. said...

You know, that if at that fork in the road you could have see an ice cream shop in the distance there would not have been a battle at all!! Thanks for driving all of those miles to be at Trollhaugen - you are the man!!